Legal Question in Social Security Law in New Jersey

My sister in law is separated from my brother, who is disabled and getting social security disability benefits. She left him with their sons over two years ago and moved to another state. He recently had a health setback and will be coming home from the rehab center soon. She came back for a week, sold everything from his apartment, kept the money, cancelled his lease, and he has nowhere to go. She has now left again but somehow managed to get his disability check transferred to her. He has no one else and I will be caring for him in my home. I live alone and am not well myself. He has no other income or assets. What can I do to get his benefits transferred to his own account or mine so he can get the things he needs? They are still legally married, but he is in NJ and she is in NV. She took the children with her, but they are now 22 and 18.

Asked on 1/04/19, 6:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Randall Selagy F. Randall Selagy, P.C.

Take him to his local Social Security office and tell them this. Wife may be a Representative Payee but he can change that.

Read more
Answered on 1/04/19, 8:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in New Jersey