Legal Question in Traffic Law in New Jersey

I was recently pulled over in Bordentown, NJ. The officer came to the window and told me I was pulled because when he ran my plates, the plates weren't the current ones I should have on my car. This is because I had got a new registration, and lacked the tools to change the plates right away, and I had forgot to do it at a later time. The current plates were in my back seat, which I showed the officer and he seemed to be approving of the situation. He asked for my license/registration/insurance which I provided. He left, went to his vehicle, and came back. He told me he had to go to a call, that my inspection was also expired (the car sat for a while when I was away at school) and that my license plate couldn't be on the dashboard displayed through the windshield (I bought my car second-hand and there was no mount for the front license plate, I was told by the DMV that putting in there would be adequate). He told me to drive safe and then he left. A week later I get three tickets in the mail (out of inspection and two improper license plate placement). Do I have a case to somehow do away with these as the officer implied I would not get a ticket? I fixed these issues as soon as I could after the incident as the officer instructed. I have a pristine driving record and this is my first time being pulled over at all. Also, why did I receive two improper license plate tickets? Any help from a "law guru" would be appreciated, thanks!

Asked on 6/19/13, 10:15 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jef Henninger, Esq Law Offices of Jef Henninger, Esq.

The cop can say one thing and do another. These are minor tickets that you have fixed. Go to court, demonstrate that you have fixed the issue and they'll work it out with you.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 10:16 am


Agreed. They may reduce the number of tickets, downgrade them, or even dismiss(if you are blessed)

Ask the Court for a hearing and talk th the local Prosecutor, bringing documentation with you c

Good luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 10:55 am
Jonathan Mincis Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq. Law Offices

Just request a Court date and when you appear in court speak to the Prosecutor. You should be able to work it out. You got three responses so now you know what to do. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 5:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in New Jersey