Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

My brother recently died & left my father without an executor. My father (in New Jersey) wishes to have his live in girlfriend to be the executor. Is this legal? Does it have to be a legal family member? I do not have his attorney name or # as they refuse to give it to me. I just want his choice of executor to

be legal for i live in AZ and have no idea. Thank you. Char

Asked on 8/22/12, 4:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson

Your father may name anyone he wants to be executor.

This response is not legal advice, since I do not have all of the information that would be required, and I do not have a representation agreement with you.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/12, 4:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey