Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

I need to close out a deceased person's bank checking account. I cannot fill out form L8 because I answered YES to the question that asks if a portion of the assets will be going to a trust account. The decedent's daughter is on Medicaid and her money goes to a trust, according to the Will. What form must I fill out so I can close the account and open an estate account?

Asked on 5/24/18, 7:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith Singer Keith A. Singer, Attorney At Law

I have not reviewed the will or trust documents but based on the information provided I would suggest that you contact the Surrogate's office in the county in which the deceased resided at the time of his or her death and they will provide the forms necessary. They will also assist you in completing and filing the forms in addition to providing the correct amount of filing fees. You should have the Medicaid eligible daughter contact the Medicaid office in the county in which she resides in order to determine how much money from the distribution must be provided to Medicaid as the QIT Account must have a zero balance each month. The Medicaid Office should provide proper guidance. Keith A. Singer, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/18, 6:34 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey