Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

I inherited a house from my Father, there is no mortgage or any liens on the house. How do I get the house put in my name?


Asked on 10/23/13, 12:36 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Chester Lindabury, McCormick, Estabrook & Cooper, P.C.

If you inherited the house via your father's Will, then the executor for his estate should sign a deed of distribution which would indicate that you are the new owner. The deed should then be recorded in the County where the house is located.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 12:40 pm

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

any decent attorney can help you do this and file the needed tax forms.

call me and I will assist,

Robert Davies, Attorney

201 820 3460

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 12:43 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

I agree with Jon. Since it is an estate distribution, the Deed should be an Executor's Deed and the recited consideration should be nominal so no Realty Transfer Fee is incurred. I usually show the consideration as being $10.00. Additionally, you should receive a Release and Refunding Bondto be signed by you and notarized, acknowledging that you got the Deed, that needs to be filed with the Surrogate handling the estate.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/13, 12:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey