Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in New Jersey

short certificate

What is the difference between a short certificate and a death certificate? And can i get a copy of this short certificate from the town clerk?

Asked on 3/30/09, 5:52 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jeffrey Walters Law Offices of Jeffrey S. Walters, LLC

Re: short certificate

A short certificate is a document that the County Surrogate gives to the executor of an estate when a Will is probated, or the administrator of an estate if the deceased did not have a Will. In either case, the purpose of the short certificate is to legally appoint the person to administer the estate. If you are looking to see if someone has been appointed as executor or administrator, you would either ask them to show you the short certificate, or you can examine the public records at the surrogate's office in the county where the person died. If there is a particular problem or issue that you are dealing with, feel free to call or email me.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/09, 6:23 pm

Miriam Jacobson Law Offices of Miriam N. Jacobson

Re: short certificate

The death certificate certifies that a person has died.

The short certificate is issued by a Surrogate's office or, in PA, the Register of Wills, certifying that the Executor or Administrator of the Estate has been duly appointed. Neither is obtained from a town clerk.

This response is not legal advice, since I do not have all of the information that would be required, and I do not have a representation agreement with you.

* If the answers to your question confirm that you have a valid issue or worthwhile claim, your next step should almost always be to establish a dialog with a lawyer who can provide specific advice to you. Contact a lawyer in your county or township.

* Another reason for contacting a lawyer is that it is often impossible to give a good answer in the Internet Q&A format without having more information. The unique circumstances of your situation and things that you may not have thought to mention in your question may completely change the answer. If you want to be sure that you have a complete answer to your question and an understanding of what that answer means, establish a connection with a lawyer who practices in the area of your concern.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/09, 6:24 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.

Re: short certificate

I agree with the other authors about the difference between the documents. A call to the Surrogate where the estate is being administered will give you the information on who to contact regarding the estate. You might be able to get a copy of the Short Certificate for a ssmall fee. Only family memebrs or the estate representative can get a copy of a Death Certificate.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/09, 9:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in New Jersey