Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Adoption of child i had for 6 years biolgocially mom in prison.

My husband and i have been raising this child since she was 10 months old mom comes by or calls about every three months. She is seven years old . the mother has been in jail about 8 months for trafficing drugs and will get out of jail in december of this year.Father unknown. We have no legal custody but we feel we have taken good care of her feed her clothed her, medical as well as our love we want to adopt her

we are really the only parents she has ever known We need to know the procedure on how to do this and exactly what the laws are. Thank you

Asked on 6/30/01, 1:13 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

Re: Adoption of child i had for 6 years biolgocially mom in prison.

Your question is very nearly too complicated for

this forum. My initial question is: Is this

child biologically related to you? Or, did you

just know the mom and she said, 'oh, by the way

will you take care of my child for me while I go

away to prison?' The answer to each of those

questions is going to take your adoption case into

a completely different area. You need to talk to a

lawyer who practices family law. The state bar

of New Mexico has an 800 number where you can call

and ask for a lawyer referral in your city. If

you call the 800 information line (800-555-1212)

and ask for the State Bar of New Mexico they will

give you the toll free number.

The question you asked is not impossible to

accomplish but my feel is that likely it is not

something you can without a lawyer helping you

out. Go see a lawyer (or 2 or 3 and do some

price comparison).

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/02/01, 11:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico