Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

when answering a judgement of dissolutio n of marriage do I answer to the check amount for the petition? When I was served with the papers there was a judgement staple to a petition which 1 do I answer to?

Asked on 3/09/13, 9:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

Your question is vague and not clear. Normally, your spouse would not have a judgment against you when s/he is filing for divorce. However, because you are talking about family law I will assume that you may have left the relationship; that you had children; that the state sued you for child support and that once s/he obtained the child support judgment that now s/he is suing you for divorce. As you can see, when a stranger (me) has to make that many assumptions about a question you asked then you can reasonably believe that you did not give sufficient information before you asked your question.

You will need to go and visit with an attorney and explain what all has occurred; and, bring your legal documents with you when you go see the attorney. You have 30 DAYS from the time you were served the papers to answer the complaint/allegations in the Petition. Don't waste your time. From your ZIP code I can see that you are near a large city in which you have plenty of attorneys to call or choose. Find someone who practices family law and have a consultation. Don't blow your deadline - look at your calendar and plan to have your answer filed with the court before the time the 30 DAYS have passed.

Good Luck.

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 3/09/13, 9:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico