Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

I have a daughter who is 3 years old. The mother gave up her rights when she was born and signed my daughter to her mom which would be the grandma. The grandmother took me for child support and refuses to let me visit with my daughter. My payments are a little over 500 a months and was wondering is there is a way I wan lower that since I hardly make that in a month and I also have other bills to pay. What would it take to get full custody of my daughter since the mom doesn't have her and is not working to provide for her. I rather have her here with me since I am paying everything.

Asked on 4/03/13, 8:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

Visitation and child support are always determined separately. You can petition the court for a change in child support based on changed circumstances - your income is lower, or whatever - there is a child support worksheet on-line you can use to determine the appropriate level. You can also petition the court for visitation or fr custody, but I suggest you consult with an attorney because a lot depends on the particular details of your situation.

Read more
Answered on 4/03/13, 3:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico