Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

Father has custody of my son and does not take care of him I have only weekend visitation. Come to find out the grandma and grandpa have been taking care of him the whole time taking him to school and every doctors appointment for three years. My son was hurt very bad at one point and the grandma never told me he was hospitalized he had all teeth knocked out and multiple facial fractures. The grandma has told doctors multiple different stories. Throughout the years the grandma has not told me any info about school or the doctors and she is the one taking him to all appointments and child pick up and drop offs...she also sometimes doesn't drop him off on my scheduled visitation. Can I put a restraining order on the grandma. Cuz she told the courts that she doesn't take care of my son at all but all school documentation and medical documentation say other wise. The grandma has been keeping very important medical information and educational information

Asked on 5/13/20, 12:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

I suggest you consider reporting this to the children youth and families department child protective services hotline at 1-855-333-7233. You don't say the nature of your custody arrangement but I presume it is a court order, you can ask a court to reconsider the custody order. You may be eligible for help from New Mexico Legal Aid (income criteria apply), go to or call 1-833-545-4357 or 505-633-6694. If you want to try to do this yourself (not recommended) you cAN FIND FORMS AND INSTRUCTIONS AT , you could start with form 4a-321, motion to modify order.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/20, 8:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico