Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

My friend is 15 can i get into trouble for helping her? She wants to live with me or she wants to kill herself there's no in between, she lives in an abusive household, and has experienced many inappropriate innuendos from her stepdad and doesn't feel safe at home...

Asked on 8/12/18, 7:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

George Chandler Chandler Law of Los Alamos

How old are you? If you're over 18 the careful answer to your question is that you have a duty to inform Children Youth and Families Department on the abuse allegations. There are a number of charges you could potentially face for for harboring her if her parents or CYFD chose to press the matter. If you're under 18 your legal liabiilty may be somewhat different but still a possibility. I would try to get her to talk to a counselor at school or a social welfare agency near you, and have them do the CYFD connection. Take the suicide threat seriously, and seek crisis intervention. You didn't give me a zip code so I can't find an agency near you but if you look in the phone book under Counselors or Crisis Intervention you can find one in your area. You can even go to a police station and ask for help. If you tell them about the abuse they will contact CYFD.

You could also call Pegasus Legal Services for Children and ask for assistance or advice. (505) 244-1101, website

The CYFD Child Protective Services number is (505) 827-8400.

Don't let this drift along hoping it will get better. Suicide threats are serious, and abusers can become violent. Contact someone for help ASAP.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/18, 8:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico