Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

My ex gave my childrens school a copy of our custody agreement, can she do that it has nothing to do with school, other than my days and times to be with my girls. it has everything about what was asked of me and her. the school did not need to see all that stuff. i have not violated any of the visitations. she also did not even put me down as the father on the registration, they said i have to go down and do that myself.

Asked on 1/05/17, 2:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

The document to which you refer is a public document and any person in the United States can walk into the courthouse where you filed your custody agreement and get a copy of that court filed document. To the extent of your questioning your ex's actions you do not have a gripe that can be addressed in a court of law that will provide any satisfaction to you. Your ex may not be required to 'take care of your business' and put your contact information on the school registration documents. If the Court Order or the Parenting Plan / Custody Agreement required her to do that then, yes, she would have violated the order if she didn't. However, the trend now a days is that each parent take care of their own responsibilities. (You are, after all, no longer a 'couple). The school's parental card information sheet likely has a place for email addresses so that when there are parent teacher conferences, report cards, attendance sheets or other school activities the school can send you an email so you can arrange to participate in your children's educational life.

Good Luck

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 1/06/17, 7:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico