Legal Question in Family Law in New Mexico

I paid sine if my son's atty fee with a personal check. There is now a big dispute over the billing. This is a simple visitation case for his granddaughter and the atty is charging $9,000 Some of the fees are reasonable but a lot are not. We did not sign the contract but did pay some of the bills with a personal check. Can we be held liable for the bill or can the atty. file a lien on our property?. Can my son dispute some of the charges? He is on disability and has no property and very little income.

Asked on 11/02/16, 8:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Watson John Watson, Attorney at Law

You can contact the disciplinary board for the NM Sup. Court or you can contact the State Bar of NM. The link for the state bar is: (copy that link into your browser and press enter) and the contact point for the contact information for the Disciplinary Board is: Address: 20 First Plaza Center NW # 710, Albuquerque, NM 87102; Phone: (505) 842-5781.

If you contact either of these two places you will probably find the help you seek.

Law Guru

Read more
Answered on 11/03/16, 7:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New Mexico