Legal Question in Civil Litigation in New Mexico

A woman gave me a parrot about a year and a half ago. She no longer wanted it, couldn't sell it, so we finally agreed I would give it a good home. She has asked a few times to come to my house to visit my parrot and I have tactfully and politely avoided the question. The answer would be "no" because I think she is weird and being around her makes me feel uncomfortable. Now she has filed a civil suit seeking visitation of my parrot. The response to the summons, which she will get a copy of, asks for my home address. I don't want her to have my address. Must I record my address on that document?

Asked on 12/12/12, 3:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

If you have a summons, then your home address is already known if it was personally served. If you got it by mail at a PO Bx or other mailing address, then you need only sign the acknowledgement and return it to from whence it came. You really need to explain how you received the summons to get a proper answer, but generally, if you were served, you need not provide any information at this time. Provide some specific information about how you got it and we will provide a broader answer. You may then ask again.

Read more
Answered on 12/12/12, 4:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in New Mexico