Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New Mexico

I and another individual are on a mortgage together. The other individual has not contributed in almost years. I want to know if it is legal for me to do a quick quit claim deed and just turn it over. Do I have to have the other individuals consent??

Asked on 10/04/12, 3:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kevin Connolly Kevin J. Connolly

Your quit claim (not quick claim) deed cannot transfer more of the property than you own. What you can do is request a "partition" of the property, but this is expensive. Very expensive. If the lender will release you in exchange for a quitclaim deed, you might want to consider that as a potential solution.

Read more
Answered on 10/05/12, 12:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New Mexico