Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New York

Can I give verbal notice for a tenant to vacate the premises in 30 days if they will not come home to receive the written notice? He is trying to avoid eviction and won't come to the home (he lives with me) so I can give him the paper. He is trying to avoid it. Can I call him and tell him and post the notice on his door?

Asked on 2/24/13, 2:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


How long has it been since he was at the premises? You will likely need to serve a notice of termination of licensee upon him that must be written. As New York State law is very specific as to the exact wording required in these Notices and the manner in which they must be served upon the tenant or licensee, it is highly advisable to retain the services of an attorney experienced in these areas. A small mistake can set you back months in the process. We have substantial experience handling these types of cases, however, we would need some more information before making a complete and proper determination. You are welcome to contact us for a free consultation.


401 Greenwich Street

New York, New York 10013


[email protected]

The information provided by Czik Law PLLC (CLP) is for general educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship established by this communication and no privilege attaches to such communication. CLP is not taking and will not take any action on your behalf and will not be considered your attorney until both you and CLP have signed a written retainer agreement. There are strict deadlines, called statutes of limitation, within which claims or lawsuits must be filed. Therefore, if you desire the services of an attorney and decide not to retain CLP on terms acceptable to CLP, you are advised to immediately seek the services of another attorney.

Read more
Answered on 2/25/13, 11:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New York