Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

immigration law...

I am a 28 year old, permanent US resident for over 25 years. Both of my parents were naturalized US citizens when i was 18.

I recently lost my green card (baby pic from 1982) should i re apply or just apply for citizenship? I do have a criminal record and was told i would be denied. Any help?

Asked on 3/30/07, 3:45 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP

Re: immigration law...

Get the records of your conviction/s ready and head for an immigration attorney before you file a single document with USCIS, including a petition for naturalization or an application for a replacement green card. Not only will you not become a citizen if you fail the "good moral character" or other tests but you may face removal based on certain crimes. There may be opportunities for dealing with certain old convictions so not everything may be lost but let the qualified professional assist you with that task.

The above reply is in the nature of general information, is not legal advice and should not be relied on as such.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/07, 10:22 pm
Carolyn Goldfarb Carolyn S. Goldfarb, Esq.

Re: immigration law...

It is critical to know what you were convicted of and when were you convicted of it before an opinion can be rendered what you should do. It is possible that either action might result in removal proceedings for you.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/07, 5:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York