Legal Question in Intellectual Property in New York


I want to know what I need to do to register and protect my artistic name. Where and how may I search if the name is taken and how much will the process cost me

Asked on 6/10/09, 3:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Ken Feldman Feldman Law Group

Re: Trademarks

The best is a Federal Trademark registration. Search the internet in general and on the Patent and Trademark Office ( site in particular, for simillar marks, then apply to the Patent and trademark Office.

The office charges $375 to file the application, an attorney like myself would charge $500 in addition to analyze the search results and file the application.

If someone objects to the mark, there can be an adinistrative battle that costs more, but the search well done usually bears this out.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/09, 4:12 pm
Kristen Browde Browde Law, P.C.

Re: Trademarks

It's not clear what you mean by "register and protect my artistic name." Though trademark protection, suggested by one attorney, is interesting, your name is not necessarily something that can be registered as a trademark. Only if your name serves as brand identification is an appication for a trademark a possibility.

If you'd like to discuss the possibilities for various forms of intellectual property protection, plesae feel free to get in touch.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/09, 4:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in New York