Legal Question in Banking Law in New York

I am overseas to take care of my elderly mother for few months with not a fixed date to return to the U.S

A friend of mine made a cash deposit of over 1300.00 dollars into my Citibank business account in NY over a month ago which I can have access to my funds here in South America, but I wasn`t aware that my account was closed because it was overdrawn by 32 dollars, even by knowing that, the teller at the branch where he made the deposit took the cash and gave him the deposit slip. Now my account is closed and I have no access to my funds and Citibank does not want to reopen my account the only thing they want to do is to send a check to my address in NY which will not do any good for me as I am away from the country. I have opened a case with Citibank back office few weeks ago and every time I call them they say they are still investigating the case. I have never been advised that my account was overdrawn and therefore would have never made a cash deposit if I knew that. I have this account for over 20 years and the branch manager and nobody else is willing to do anything for me. My friend who made the deposit for me has a citibank account as well and I asked my manager to transfer the funds to him but they are denying to do so and his name is stated on the deposit slip.

Can I do something about this ? I am going through an ordeal of events with my mother`s health and I need to have my funds available. Thank you.

Asked on 1/02/20, 4:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Why don't you wait until you get a final answer from Citibank? You said they're working on the case, so let them finish and see what they say.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/20, 4:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Banking Law questions and answers in New York