Legal Question in Business Law in New York

I was in business with a guy and we split up he owes me 12 thousand dollars he was paying me back for a little bit then stopped what can be done, should I file a police report not sure if he could get in trouble with law

Asked on 7/07/13, 4:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

Generally speaking. this is a civil and not a criminal matter and your recourse is to pursue a civil action (i.e. a lawsuit) rather than filing a police report. Before commencing a lawsuit sometimes a demand letter from an attorney can "convince" the debtor to pay the amount owed..Demand letters are relatively inexpensive so you should consider this option.

If you need help with a demand letter in this matter feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.

Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalist (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 9:34 pm


Mail him a certified letter informing him of your intention to file a lawsuit upon his failure to pay. Provide him a ten (10) day grace period. Call him and warn him again. If the answer is not satisfactory, file a law suit.

Read more
Answered on 7/07/13, 10:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New York