Legal Question in Business Law in New York


I am an undergraduate student finishing two degrees (Music BA and Psychology BA) in May. I am a citizen of America and I have been teaching Spanish classes with a private company, in public and private schools around Brooklyn, but have only been trained by the company and do not have a certification for teaching as of yet. I am planning to do my masters directly after graduating and am looking at school psychology and music therapy programs.

Another teacher that works in the company with me is from Spain. She has a degree in Therapeutic Pedagology from Valencia Catholic University as well as a sign language degree from the same University. She has five years of experience working with special needs children in public schools in Spain. She is currently here on a student visa.

We are very interested in giving private therapeutic classes to special needs individuals. We would like to design a program in which we get kids and adults to interact creatively through music and learning Spanish words via story-telling, games, arts and crafts, and dancing. This is similar to how our current classes are structured, but we would like to specialize the classes for special needs children and adults, especially because she has extensive experience in this field.

What are the steps to doing this and what legal and ethical issues do we face?

Thank you!

Asked on 11/04/13, 4:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Roman Fichman Esq. Law Practice of Roman Fichman Esq.

Generally speaking, you would need to form an incorporated entity, clear the entity with the state of New York (in the event you are licensed by the state), enter into a partnership agreement between you and your partner, clear any immigration issues that may exist with your partner, review any intellectual property issues with the programs you are looking to create as well as many issues such as procuring insurance, creating customer agreements and waivers and many more.

As you can see there are quite a number of steps to complete and you should retain an attorney to help you in the process.

My firm can assist you with this. Feel free to contact my office at your earliest convenience.

Roman R. Fichman, Esq. │ @TheLegalist

email: Info (@) TheLegalists (dot) com

t e l : 2 1 2 -- 3 3 7 -- 9 8 3 7

Disclaimer: This post has been written for educational purposes only and was not meant to be legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice or be relied upon. No intention exists to create an attorney-client relationship or any other special relationship or privilege through this post. The post may contain errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions. You should always consult an attorney admitted to practice in your jurisdiction for specific advice. This post may be deemed as Attorney Advertising.

Read more
Answered on 11/04/13, 11:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in New York