Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in New York

Hello. I was abandoned by my father at the age of two. Since then, he did marry and divorced with no children. I would like to know if I could claim my father' fortune in case of death?, thank you.

Asked on 12/25/15, 1:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

If he has a valid will, he is not obligated to name you as a beneficiary.

If you are his legal child under the law and he does not have a valid will, it is likely you will be his legal heir to all or a portion of his estate. You should check with an experienced probate lawyer to discuss the intestate laws of the state where your father resides.

Also licensed in New York since 1996.

Read more
Answered on 1/04/16, 8:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in New York