Legal Question in Technology Law in New York

I am being harassed online in a public chat room, and via email by this male stating the i am an lesbian. which in fact, i am not!!! he emails lesbian pictures to people in the chat rooms with my screen name and email address on it. it all started because i have asked him to stop chatting pedophile statements towards the other members children, when i stopped chatting with him, he started this online defamation, slander, and libel against me. i would like to know what can be done so he can stop this foolishness.

Asked on 9/22/13, 12:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Frank Natoli Natoli-Legal, LLC

You can sue him for defamation as well as harassment. If he too is in NY, I would file in the small claims court where no lawyer is required.

If you would like to discuss further over a free phone consult, feel free to contact me anytime that is convenient.

Kind regards,



[email protected]

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis

Read more
Answered on 9/23/13, 7:58 am

On top of harassment and defamation, this person is also likely violating the chat room's terms of use. You should be able to file a complaint through their website, or by sending an email or call to their customer service department, or contacting their offices directly - sometimes going straight to a CEO gets really quick results. They should be able to block his account and also block his IP address so he cannot simply create a new account and continue the harassment. These remedies are at the option of the website and the only legal remedies are the ones Mr. Natoli describes.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/13, 12:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in New York