Legal Question in Technology Law in New York


My husband recently lost his job due to a store closing. It has come his attention that his old email address is being used on the website to direct former customers for complaints and resolutions for now unredeemable gift certificates. The problem is that the emails, while addressed to my husband by name are not reaching him, nor are they suppossed to. The emails are in fact being responded to by a completely different person and signed with my husband's name. My husband has not had access to the email account at all since December as the passwords have been changed by the company.

When he discovered the website told customers to send complaints to himself he wrote ''himself'' an email from a ficticious customer who wanted his money back for a product; and the response received was shocking. the mystery writer called the customer ''lazy'' and to ''chill out'' and other things in not so nice a tone which included a gross use of the caps lock. The store was affiliated with a major national brand name but owned locally. In short; My husband is being impersonated by persons unknown and hes worried that complaints about the mystery writer might hinder his chances of future employment with the affiliated national brand.


Asked on 1/27/09, 11:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

Re: Impersonation?

You should first send a letter to the prior employer requesting that the company stops using his e-mail address (even if it owned by the employer). I would send the letter by certified mail. An e-mail address is easy to create (and eliminate) and a letter should do the trick.

However, if the employer continues to improperly use your husband's e-mail, you should retain an attorney to send a letter. You may also file a complaint with the NY Department of Labor.


Read more
Answered on 1/28/09, 9:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in New York