Legal Question in Technology Law in New York

help please

respected sir/madam

i have done B.Sc(3yrs)from kashmir university and presently im doing ll.b from university of jammu,j&k, in 1st getting married next year and my fiance is a doctor in U.S.A.i wanted to know that will my B.Sc and ll.b degree be valid there in america?like if i complete my ll.b from jammu university,j&k,india,will it be recognized there in america.and if my degree is not valid there then i want to know the procedure for getting admission in law college there in america.i would like to know all the details.i will be highly obliged.


Asked on 9/13/06, 6:55 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Re: help please

hello, if you complete your llb degree in India you will need to get admitted in state bar in US (depending on which state you go) each state bar has its own rules for admitting international lawyers. Your bsc degree will be considered valid if you would prefer further study in USA.

if you prefer doing law in usa, most probably you will have to pass LSAT exam, you can check LSAT website for more details.

all the very best.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/06, 8:01 am
Gerry Elman Elman Technology Law, P.C.

Re: help please

Coincidentally, my daughter in the United States was married in Jammu to a man from there, so I have some appreciation for your situation. I also work with colleagues who have gained some or all of their science education in India.

I am an attorney practicing near Philadelphia. The answer of Gurpreet Singh is accurate. But to expand on what he said: Your educational background will of course be "valid," but the question is whether it will provide admission to your chosen professional activities or whether more education in the USA would be required. Another question is whether citizenship in the USA would be required.

As you may know, the minimum education for a "patent agent" in the USA is a bachelors degree in science or engineering. No law schooling is required.

If you wish to practice law in the United States, you would need to become a member of the Bar of at least the State in which you would work. Most States require graduation from a law school that's accredited by the American Bar Association. However not all States have that requirement. And some ABA-accredited law schools have shortened degree programs available to foreign-trained lawyers.

I trust that you are also aware that it can be tedious to obtain a visa to enter the USA even after one marries a US citizen.

If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/06, 10:30 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in New York