Legal Question in Consumer Law in New York

I paid a contractor for labor and materials and nothing have been completed. He keeps telling me the materials are coming and it never does.Its been two years. I paid him $15,000 dollars.Please advise on how I can get my money back? I live in New York City.

Asked on 2/04/10, 11:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Stern Law Offices of Jason Stern

If you hired a licensed contractor, you have remedies available to you through the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs; if you hired an unlicensed contractor, your options are limited to filing suit and trying to recover your monies.

Your post is an excellent reminder why it is so important to only hire LICENSED CONTRACTORS. Always get their DCA # and look them up on the NYC DCA website before hiring someone.

If you need further assistance, you may contact my office via email.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/10, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New York