Legal Question in Consumer Law in New York

small claims

Can i sue a big company like Hewlett packard which is based

in California ( I live in NY) in small claims court . I bought a computer

that was defective. It was never

repaired and now the warrenty period is over.

Asked on 1/07/08, 8:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

Re: small claims

Small claims court has jurisdiction over an entity only if the entity has an office in the jurisdiction where you commence the action. So, if HP has an office in New York County, you may commence the action in Manhattan.

However, most computer companies have language in its purchase agreement whereby the consumer agrees to arbitration in a particular venue. You must read your purchase agreement before commencing an action.


Read more
Answered on 1/08/08, 8:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in New York