Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

I had a plan with sprint for 6+ years which offered me unlimited minutes for $130 per month for 8 lines.

Now Sprint removed that plan from the account and they charge me 40 cent per minute to a total of $5000+ for last monthís bill.

So I called them many times with no normal response, today someone from the corporate office called me and tells me that I wasnít on a valid plan for years and thatís why they wonít put it back.

He added that if I stay with sprint heíll compassed me for that big charges and wonít charge me for the past.

If on the other hand Iíll port out my lines theyíll charge me ETF for all lines and also theyíll not credit me that $5000.

The cheapest plan for that many lines would cost me thousands of dollars per month. So thatís not an option.

Finally he told me that I have 48 hours to call him back on his private line. Else heíll forward it to their legal department and weíll take further action.

So my question is if they have the power to charge me back dated for all the years since the plan got invalid I think itís their responsibility to close the plan if they wish to at any time I didnít force them to provide me that plan.

Also what action can they take against me? Is there a way I could get out of that compny without paying the thousands of dollars they want me to pay?

Thank you

Asked on 12/06/12, 1:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Guy Lewit Guy Mitchell Lewit, Esq.

Complain to the FCC (federal communications commission). Complain to the NYC Dept of Consumer Affairs, Complain to the Attorney General of NY State. I believe they cannot unilaterally cancel/alter your account if you are not in default. Do you have a copy of the previous plan that you entered into with them 6+ years ago? You have to review that document and determine when and on what grounds Sprint can (IF THEY CAN) cancel or alter your account without notice. I think they cannot.

Read more
Answered on 12/06/12, 1:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York