Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

My ex daughter in law call the police and accused me of trying to assault her with a knife and my son tried to help. My son wasn't home and was staying with his girlfriend the day she is saying this incident happened. I did not at all try to stab her. When got into a heated argument when she came to pick up my granddaughter. We did not get physical at all during the argument and she drove off and left. Later that day she continued to harass and text me constantly and repeatedly throughout the day. I found out through her sister that she had accused me of trying to stab her on that night. Today I received a call from my local police station informing me of that i had a warrant out for my arrest and that I could turn myself in. Im not sure how to go about or what to, I've never been in this situation before and would like any insight or guidance as to what should be my next step. Thank You

Asked on 1/20/16, 4:00 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

It sounds like you should line up a lawyer to go with you to surrender at the precinct. If you do go in without a lawyer you should not make any statements.

Read more
Answered on 1/20/16, 4:41 pm
Eric Rothstein Rothstein Law PLLC

Save the texts. There is no warrant. The police always say that but they don't need one. Hire a good criminal defense lawyer before contacting the police. Do not speak to the police about the case.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/16, 4:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York