Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

I have been falsely accused with aggravated harassment. A woman who has a grudge against me has called the police and told them that I had been calling and threatening her. This is untrue, however because of the complaint I have been arrested and am now trying to get the matter dismissed. However, I have been told by my uncle, who is a lawyer, although not a criminal defense attorney, that because of the nature of the complaint, one word against another, it will have to go to trial. Is this true? What should I do? I work as a teacher and my job stability is being threatened by what is happening.

Asked on 12/17/12, 7:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Mahendra Ramgopal law offices of mahendra ramgopal

YOU are presumed innocent of this charge . The prosecution will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the elements of aggravated harassment. If the complainant made false statements as you state, the prosecution will be unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty as charged. Considering your job you should maintain your innocence and be willing to go to trial. The case may well be dismissed before trial if the prosecution are not ready to present this case within the time , they must do so , under the law.

Read more
Answered on 12/17/12, 8:32 am
Robert Evans Robert S. Evans esq.

The alternatives are a plea bargain or a trial. You should protect your rights and interests by retaining a competent criminal defense attorney. You may contact my office @ 7188340087 for a free phone consultation.

Read more
Answered on 12/17/12, 10:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York