Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

I was pulled over last night by some cops because I passed them as they were driving 5 miles an hour. Once they pulled me over, he said that I was being pulled over because I didn't 'signal' and that I had tinted glass on my windows which is against the law in nyc. News to me. So he goes back to his car and after making me and my wife wait for almost forty minutes, he calls me out of the car and ask me to stand on the side of the road. He says that I have a trespass warrant on me from 1982 when I was 17 years old. He says that he's going to give me a break and just give me a ticket for the tinted glass and not arrest me for the warrant. First of all, I NEVER trespassed ANYWHERE when I was 17, was NEVER served with ANY papers and I'm currently employed by a city agency that does a THOROUGH background check and NOTHING like this came up. I suspect that someone used my name back then and I don't want to walk around with something like this hanging over my head. How can I go about combating this?

Asked on 5/18/13, 7:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

First and foremost, hire a criminal attorney for the trespass warrant. Your job may be at stake. Therefore, this is too important for you to handle this alone.

Also licensed and practicing in New York

(Not a criminal attorney)

Read more
Answered on 5/19/13, 6:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York