Legal Question in Criminal Law in New York

What could be the punishment for PL120.00(1) and VTL600(1)(a)

My friend is charged with the aforementioned offenses in New York City, NY. Can someone advise as to how serious these charges are. He is in need of an attorney but he does not want to spend too much money if it's not too serious. The legal aid attorney did not show up on his first hearing and the judge asked him to find his own.

Asked on 9/30/08, 12:36 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Carlos Gonzalez Gonzalez Legal Associates PLLC

Re: What could be the punishment for PL120.00(1) and VTL600(1)(a)

This is a rather complicated answer... it depends on several things... First of all, does this person have any previous criminal record? if they do not then it would be rather hard for them to take any plea involving a crime or probation, which could potentially be the case.

As far as jail time, i sincerely doubt that there will be any jail time on a case such as this, especially if this is a first arrest.

However, regardless of the fact that there may be no jail time involved this should not deter you from hiring an attorney, it should actually push you to hire one... it will definately make a difference as to how your case is handled... overall, your private attorney will not miss court dates... and will not have other attorneys show up to cover your case...

I would suggest that you hire a private attorney on such a case.

If you would like to contact us, you may call us for a free phone consultation at 212.709.8303

Read more
Answered on 9/30/08, 5:28 pm

Robert Evans Robert S. Evans esq.

Re: What could be the punishment for PL120.00(1) and VTL600(1)(a)

The accused is facing a possible 1 year in jail and a misdemeanor conviction which will be part of his criminal history forever. He should be more concerned with his future rather than the cost of quality representation.A competent criminal defense attorney is necessary in this case. We can discuss the matter further in a free phone consultation. Please call my [email protected] to make such arrangements.

Read more
Answered on 10/01/08, 11:52 am
Christopher Hoyt The Law Offices of Christopher W. Hoyt

Re: What could be the punishment for PL120.00(1) and VTL600(1)(a)

Your friend is facing criminal charges and depending on his age may be facing up to one year in jail. A conviction of PL 120.00(1) would stay on your friend's record for the rest of his life, so he should speak to an attorney about his case before making any decisions.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/08, 1:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New York