Legal Question in DUI Law in New York

Under age teens were drinking at our house while we were out of town. They had a property damage accident while driving later. Can we be held liable?

Asked on 4/30/13, 8:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Max Rosenberg Rosenberg, Miller, Hite & Morilla, LLC

In my opinion, you absolutely can be held liable. Not only is it illegal for the under age teens to be drinking at your house, but you in a fact enabled them to be drinking at your house by your lack of supervision as well as the availability of alcohol on the premises. There is also something called the dram shop act. The dramshop act effectively punishes the supplier or vendor who supplies the alcohol to anyone too inebriated (drunk or with an illegal BAC) to further imbibe or one who is underage. Put your home insurance on notice immediately.

Read more
Answered on 4/30/13, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New York