Legal Question in DUI Law in New York

can I ask the judge to postpone entering a plea until I get a lawyer? DWI 5/14 court 5/18

Asked on 5/15/10, 5:00 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Christopher Brocato Brocato & Byrne, LLP

Yes. You have an absolute constitutional right to have an attorney present at each and every stage of your criminal case. If you do not have the means to hire an attorney the Court can appoint an attorney to represent you. In fact I would strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney before taking any type of plea. Driving while intoxicated is a crime, a misdemeanor. Entering a plea of guilty can and will have serious consequences. First, you will forever have a criminal record that will follow you around for the rest of your life. You could be sentenced to a period of incarceration of up to one year or probation supervision of up to three years. Your privilege to operate a motor vehicle will be suspended for an extended period of time, up to eighteen months.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/10, 5:43 pm

Robert Evans Robert S. Evans esq.

As indicated you have a right to an attorney of your choosing before entering a plea. If you qualify you may be assigned free legal counsel. The future implications are great so I would recommend retaining a competent DUI/DWI attorney. I handle matters such as yours on a regular basis,so please call my office @7188340087 for a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/10, 7:54 am
Debra Palazzo Law Offices of Debra Palazzo, LLC

Do not enter a plea until you have an attorney.

What county were you arrested in?

What did you blow?

What if any field sobriety tests did you do?

Why were you stopped by police in the first place?

That is a very important question.

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 5/21/10, 7:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in New York