Legal Question in Elder Law in New York

what do you do about neighbor harassment ?I am a senior citezin that is widowed and living in the same house for 35 yrs.i have a couple of busy body neighbors across the street that constantly harras my family and friends as in calling police on us to unfounded gets very streesfull to the point I don't even do yard work or sit on my front porch like I used to.

Asked on 5/24/18, 7:32 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

You might want to try going to Family Court and asking the judge for an emergency Temporary Order of Protection ordering your neighbors to stop what they’re doing. If the judge agrees you have a valid complaint, the judge would sign the Temporary Order of Protection, which the police will hand to your neighbor. Then in 2 or 3 or 5 days both you and your neighbor will have to show up at court and explain to the judge what is going on. The judge may make the Temporary Order of Protection permanent, or dismiss it, or something else. Either way it will get your neighbors’ attention and show them you are not going to put up with harassment.

You don’t need a lawyer; just find out where the Family Court is and they’ll be an office to help you fill out the papers

Read more
Answered on 5/24/18, 10:31 am
Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Also call the police.

Read more
Answered on 5/25/18, 5:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in New York