Legal Question in Elder Law in New York

Hello, I have spent the last 8-years being administrator for my father's estate NY, where both of us lived. It has been very gruelling with no support from brothers, and instead conflict and pressure to collect monies. Needless to say, my husband and I do not want to go through this again with my mother, who resides in Florida. Is there a form I can complete that protects me from any financial, legal, and estate responsibilities before and after her death. I apologize if this sounds cold and callus, but after handling my dad's estate I just cannot and do not want to be involved is this again. I thank you in advance for any guidance offered.

Asked on 5/13/18, 6:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

No law requires you to take responsibility for anyone else’s affairs after they die. Even if you are named as executor or personal representative you can say “no.” You’re not required to lift a finger. You don’t need any form and there is no form.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/18, 7:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in New York