Legal Question in Family Law in New York

i have an 8 year old son that i have placement of for the past 5 years sience his father and i split, his father has him every other weekend and two weeks out of the summer which he has never takin him for those two weeks he never attends soccar games or school functions, and never helps with school clother or anything, and is way behind in child support. i was recently arrested for sometihng that isnt true and im fighting it with a great lawyer. but my sons father heard about it and now wants to take my son from me, i have not been convicted just charged.... and i have never put my son in danger or neglected him in anyway, is it possible that he has a chance at taking my son

Asked on 8/19/10, 12:11 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Carol Ryder Law Office of Carol Ryder PC

It IS possible he could get the kids but remember, your divorce atty will argue they are used to living in XXX county with you, does not even pay up his child support, the father does nothing with them, etc.

When your lawyer fights the criminal case, try and get it expunged and keep it from your ex. A lot of DAs are overwhelmed and might just decline to prosecute. What they often do is essentially, you plead the NY equiv of no contest/Alfred Plea and if you "behave" for a certain # of months, your record gets expunged.

Also, go to Family Court and tell them he is far behind and that you want your support collected through the court's Collection Unit. If he screws with them, he will have trouble-maybe even some criminal charges of his own.

Read more
Answered on 8/24/10, 7:51 pm

Carlos Gonzalez Gonzalez Legal Associates PLLC

It may be possible, I would ensure that you have an excellent attorney for the custody portion of the case as well.

Our firm regularly handles such cases, if interested in discussing retaining our services you may conta us at 212-405-2234

Read more
Answered on 8/26/10, 10:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York