Legal Question in Family Law in New York

My brother recently found out that his 11-year old daughter is not biologically his. The mother has refused for the last year to tell her daughter the truth. My brother decided to tell her himself and clearly told her that he is still her father in all the ways that matter. When the mother found out she told her daughter that her father was lying and that he is her biological father. There is a DNA test proving otherwise. My brother is paying weekly child support. The mother will not speak to him and refuses to discuss anything. He is not receiving his court ordered visitation with his daughter. What should his next step be?

Asked on 7/17/13, 10:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

It was probably a mistake for your brother to share this information with his daughter. He should go to the family court and file an enforcement petition, but his conduct may have negative consequences. He should retain an attorney to present his case in the best possible light to the court.

Read more
Answered on 7/18/13, 9:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York