Legal Question in Family Law in New York

This is a case of intimate partner violence. My sister was physically assaulted by her boyfriend whom she'd been living with. He caused significant injuries by choking, tasing, and beating her. She was living and Kentucky and fled to her home state New York out of fear for her life as the boyfriend had been released from jail even though he was to held until the court date. She is now in New York and is suffering physically, mentally, and emotionally. She now requires medically aid, physical therapy, a therapist, and medication. Can she sue him or both him and the family using a local lawyer for an out-of-state case?

Asked on 1/11/21, 10:51 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Since the assault occurred in Kentucky and he lives in Kentucky the action must be brought in Kentucky. She will need a lawyer who practices in Kentucky.

Read more
Answered on 1/11/21, 12:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York