Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Child Sopport

I been paying child support for ten (10) years. My daughter is 17 still in HS, My son is 19 and Gradurated the year from HS and is going to college this fall. My lives with me for the pass 20 months and my daughter is coming to live with me 7/26/09.

I was never married to the mother we lives together foe about on and off 8 years. She has gradurated this spring with her master she will enter the work force as a PA in the Medical field.

She want to go off on her own without my daughter so I'm taking my daughter. My question is know she will not be working till Oct.2009 Can I get child sopport from her for my daughter in the future. Her has to take her Medical board certifercations.. She lives in Virginia I;m in NY

Asked on 7/12/09, 11:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joel Salinger Law Office of Joel R. Salinger

Re: Child Sopport

First, is the child support order from Virginia or New York?

Second, if the child support order is from New York, you must go back to Family Court now for your son and right after you get your daughter to change the child support order or you will be responsible for paying child support to your child's mother until they are 21 years old.

Third, if the order is from Virginia, you will need a copy of the order and it would be best to get an attorney in Virginia to change the order in Virginia or you can try to get a court in New York to entertain a petition to modify it here.

If I can be of any further assistance or if you would like a free consultation you can contact my office at 516.746.4747 or [email protected]

Joel R. Salinger

Read more
Answered on 7/13/09, 7:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York