Legal Question in Family Law in New York

During my drinking days, I got married. All I remember is his name. I have no date or year. I don't know if I was divorced or if he is alive. What can I do?

Asked on 7/31/13, 12:43 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.

By law, he needs to be served with divorce papers. If he cannot be located, you need to do newspaper advertising pursuant to the law. Any way you go, you will definitely need his full name, DOB, date of marriage, place of marriage, etc.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 12:55 pm

Paula McGill Attorney at Law

You should know the county where you were married. If you do, you can obtain a copy of the marriage license. The license should have all the information set forth in Attorney Brodsky's answer.

You may need an experienced attorney to guide you through this strange situation

Also licensed in New York.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 8:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York