Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Is it possible for a father who resides outside the state of New York to visit his child in the state without submitting to the jurisdiction of New York courts (He is paying child support pursuant to another state's order)? How can he assure that he will not have to appear in New York courts if he is served in New York while visiting his child? Is it likely that he could get an order before hand, again without submitting to New York's jurisdiction for child support purposes. (the mother and he were never married.)

Asked on 9/14/13, 5:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bruce Provda Provda Law Firm

Your question is a little confusing. If the custodial parent agrees to a visitation the court will not be involved in any way. If, however, child support is owed and the custodial parent wants that to be paid before a visit occurs, then you might have to go to court in whatever jurisdiction the child is in.

Read more
Answered on 9/24/13, 1:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York