Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I live with my gf who has two small children 4 and 2. Her ex husband and her do not get along well and recently her ex husbands girlfriends 9 year old hit the two year old while at his house for a visitation. My gf is now trying to get supervised visitation. In the past two weeks during arguments he has called me a maniac rapist and a drunk child molester which I am neither. I've never harmed the children in any way. Is there anything I can do to be proactive because im afraid if my gf takes him to court he will try to falsely accuse me to spite her. Also my mother runs a family daycare and im afraid any accusations can blow back on her

Asked on 6/04/13, 11:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

Avoid contact with him if at all possible. Do not talk to him or argue with him. If you are able to do so, try sending him a text message simply telling him to refrain from contacting you in any way. Make the text message very brief - just say who you are and please do not call me or text message me or contact me. Do not add anything else to the message. If he sends you a text message or other written communication, particularly one calling you any of these horrible names, then I would suggest going to your local police department and filing a domestic incident report. If he continues with this kind of harassing behavior, you should press criminal charges against him for aggravated harassment.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/13, 10:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York