Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I live in UK and my wife lives in New York, we were married in New York in the beginning of January and applied for a CR1 Visa. We now want to file for an uncontested divorce for irretrievable breakdown. My question is how do we cancel the Visa, and would I have to go to America or could I do it through the US embassy in England? I'd be grateful for as much information as possible, thanks.

Asked on 8/04/12, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

Did you ever travel to the US after the visa was issued? Was the visa issued? If the visa was issued and you do not travel to the US before the expiry of the visa, it will automatically be cancelled. If you were mid application process, you can simply not follow up, in which case the embassy will terminate the application, or you could send them a letter advising them that you wish to formally withdraw the petition. If you applied through the US Embassy in London, that's where you can withdraw it.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/12, 6:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York