Legal Question in Family Law in New York

hi i live in new york me and my girlfriend had a non verbal argument (over texting) about the baptism of our new born son she then had her family take all the baby's things and took him that was last saturday when i attempted to she him at her moms house she called the police no order was filed I'm not sure if there was even a police report; i didn't see my son till yesterday when i agreed to meet her in public. we had a good visit and she said shed bring him hear today then this morning changes her mind and doesn't bring him. I filed for joint custody with me having physical custody the monday after. she is playing games an using me to hurt him plus she is unemployed and her mom supports her and her siblings but doesn't really make enough to do that. what should i tell the court (on may9th} to get them to grant my petition . and if she doesn't file and custody papers what happens?

Asked on 5/04/13, 12:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

It sounds like you did the right thing in filing a family court petition right away. The court will probably not grant you physical custody right away. You should ask for joint custody and as much visitation time as possible (perhaps 50% of the time) until the next court date.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/13, 10:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York