Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I have lived with my common law spouse from 2002 to 2011 in Ontario, Canada and then married in NYC from 2011 to 2013. My questions are regarding spousal support and my legal right to leave etc. Any other relevant advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Asked on 9/08/13, 10:57 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Kristen Browde Browde Law, P.C.

The first question would be as to whether you in fact have a common law marriage. In what state do you think it took place, and when?

If you do have a common law marriage the laws in New York regarding divorce and ancillary relief such as spousal support would be identical to those for any other marriage.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 4:07 am
Jordan Trager Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C.

If you are able to prove that you have a common law marriage then you can seek maintenance, equitable distribution and all other relief in a divorce case.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 7:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York