Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I got married in January 2010 and never filed any form, and my husband is nowhere to be found for at least two years now. How do i get a divorce since I was abandonned?

Asked on 3/12/13, 2:30 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steve Brodsky Esq.

You may have to pursue what is known as a "divorce by publication". This is a long and expensive process, often costing over $3,000. Feel free to call us to discuss your options.

Read more
Answered on 3/12/13, 2:34 pm
Leta Liou The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

There are a few methods for you to conduct a search for your husband inexpensively. In the event that you are still unable to locate your spouse, you will likely proceed on an uncontested divorce and obtain an order to serve your spouse by publication in a newspaper.

An attorney can assist you in this process, which can be completed relatively quickly and without the need for court appearance.

Feel free to call me for a free telephone consultation (646) 587-0188.


Leta Liou, Esq.

The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC

124 Nassau Street, Suite 2

New York, New York 10038

(646) 587-0188

Read more
Answered on 3/13/13, 11:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York