Legal Question in Family Law in New York

I moved from New York to Texas with my child without letting the court nor the father of my child know. I have full custody. Can the New York court system let Texas know and take my child away back to New York and arrest me? I moved to Texas in February with my child from New York without letting the court nor her father know. I left in a middle of a case, he was fighting for visitation and I was fighting for some kind of safety for my child since she told me that she saw and felt her father’s penis. The court system in New York only involved acs and a child attorney. My daughter told the acs worker about the whole penis story but not her attorney so when the court date came the judge asked for him to receive two supervised visits from safe horizon and that they’d contact me but that never happened they never contacted me and the acs worker ended up closing the acs case. My husband was offered a good job in Texas so since I saw that my daughter’s safety was at risk with her father and that the court system in New York wasn’t doing anything and since I have full custody I decided to move. Last Friday I had to appear in court through the phone in New York and the judge ended up giving him temporary custody and gave me until August 3rd to return the child back to New York and that if I do not return her they will send a warrant out for my arrest and let the court system here in Texas know about it.

Asked on 7/25/18, 8:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

eric saparli Eric Saparli, Esq.

You need to comply with judge order otherwise, they can arrest you for non-compliance (contempt). You can try during proceeding get Temporary Restraining Order against father.

Read more
Answered on 7/25/18, 9:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York