Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Hi. I just recently got divorced. I finally signed to accept about $370.00 a month for two kids. With nothing else. No summer camp, afterschool activities, clothes, trips, nothing. I signed the stipulation because a) I didn't have money to pay a lawyer and b)he supposedly cannot work now due to health issues, so I figured that if and when he'd get a job (which I would probably only know about if I hired a detective) I could go to family court and up the ante. I live in New York City by the way.

Did I make a horrible mistake by signing the stipulation, or would I probably not been able to get more child support due to the fact that he's not working (so he says) and even when he does work, he doesn't show tips and extras in his taxes. The amount he has to pay was actually calculated based on what he earned before he said he stopped working. So, anyway, did I make a mistake? (Btw I signed it because I truly wanted to be finished with it already).

Asked on 7/09/13, 4:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Philip Katz Fink & Katz, PLLC

I cannot say that you made a "horrible mistake," but you did make a mistake. In divorce proceedings you can ask for sworn financial disclosure and then negotiate from a position of knowledge. That would have been the better way to figure out what you were entitled to. You may want to take your divorce judgment to a lawyer for review.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 5:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York