Legal Question in Family Law in New York

Son turning of Age

My son is turning 18 & moving out. I do not support the choices he makes and feel he is leading a troubled path possibly ending in jail or worse. I am aware that in NY guardianship is to the age of 21 with no emancipation practice. Is there anything protecting the parents in troubled teenagers or will I remain responsible until he is 21?

Asked on 2/05/08, 3:34 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Markowitz Michael A. Markowitz, PC

Re: Son turning of Age

At 18 he is an adult and makes his own decisions. 21 is for child support purposes only.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/08, 5:51 pm
Johm Smith tom's

Re: Son turning of Age

You can always have him emancipated.

Read more
Answered on 2/05/08, 11:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York